Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fourty, fat & finished

It seems like its going to be a really good day, the weathers nice, its not too cold and hopefully, I'll get my computer back from my uncle soon.

So I met my new boss again yesterday evening, and I found out I have to get an authorization from the police saying that, as far as they know, Im not a pedophile. HAHA! Not that I have much to fear, the closest I ever got to be tampering with small children ever, was helping my younger cousins in the bathroom. Oh, and I was 8 years old. I understand why they need to have the rule, but I do think its a little ironic. Hypothetically, do I even go as a pedophile if I did? As Im 20 years old, I guess, but as I still feel like somewhat of a kid, I cant really consider the option of being classified as a pedophile. Which leads me to my next philosophical question: even though you're obviously getting older every day, do we ever feel old?

I remember talking to my grandparents when they were about 80 years old, and they said they still felt like they were 20. 80, going 20. 20 with a few extra wrinkles and a timeline of 60 years you wont even relate to. I cant say I feel any older today than I did when I was 14. Actually, I think its kind of the opposite. I believed myself to be more grown-up then than I consider myself to be now. I mean, I'm totally addicted to Transformers (which was hip when I was about 4-5 years old), I love playing in the snow, and even though I'm not comfortable with loads of kids, I love them when there's just a few of them.

It may be in its place to mention that I had a huge crisis when I was in Greece this autumn as well - I was 20 and I felt like all my life had passed without me noticing. Is that normal? I remember I had the same feeling when I turned 17. And on top of it all, I met the leader of the youth council at Nesodden, Johannes, who turned 17 three days ago (happy birthday, btw!) and he said just the same. "Well, next year, I can buy beer, and Im of age" "Shut up you, Im turning 21!"

So there you are.. The society is too focused on the young ones. Well, its a good thing I guess, but doesnt it get a bit out of hand when you're soon 21 and youre ready to be hospitalized because of old age? To me it sounds a bit weird.

(And to all of you Norwegian ones who wonder why I write in English from time to time - I want to be sure all my English-speaking friends to be able to follow. So suck it up!)


Its a bit sad, isnt it?

No comments: